A Tourist Looks at a Map; A Pilgrim Finds Direction

Welcome to my personal travel blog chronicling my 3rd WYD pilrgimage to Madrid, Spain as a team leader for the Office of Catholic Youth -- Archdiocese of Toronto

Thursday 18 August 2011

One Cannot Live on Bread Alone...


That's my Pope. Il Papa, as they call him here in Spain. Slightly older than when I saw him last in Sydney, but still as genuinely happy to see me. I feel like I have met him today.

Snapped with my sweaty blackberry that was on its last bar of battery power, I was able to get this snapshot. What are the odds of that!

The previous posting described the first part of my day just getting to the Plaza Cibelis and the struggles/disappointment about not being able to get lunch to sustain us through the blazing heat. This day was a day of fasting.

 I had to fast my meal because we weren't allowed to leave the barricaded section.
I had to fast on my comforts -- i didn't bring anything to sit on because we had to walk extremely quickly to get there in time.
I fasted on my spirit -- I had to conserve as much energy as I could with no food and limited water in order for me to walk back to the hotel afterwards.
And I fasted on my pride from being so close to Il Papa.

Really, it could have happened to anyone, and I could have been the pilgrims stuck behind the barricade, unable to continue with our group. It was meant to be, but definitely not something I made happen myself.

The volunteers at Plaza Cibelis were sooo incredibly helpful. They were spraying us with water, and offering to fill up our water bottles while we cooled off, or stayed still in order to decrease our body temperature. Some of us read, some of us blogged (from a blackberry), some of us needed to go for a walk. It was joyful chaos... and it was building. The heat lay on the city like a lid. I don't know how they did it, but there were a few nuns with a group of youth from italy and the nuns were wearing black stockings under their black long sleeve robes and habits. They didn't look like they were bothered by the heat -- nor did they have red faces. Seeing them gave me strength to persevere.

I prayed the rosary with some pilgrims and then it was time for Il Papa to come!! All of a sudden my energy came back to me... I wanted to sing and dance, and jump around. I did. I rejoiced. The man of the church was here... and he was going to drive by any second. I love seeing the helicopter security fly over us... it means hes really close. The sun was setting and there was a lot of shade everywhere, the cool breeze ran through my hair and I just relaxed. He drove by us on his Pope Mobile and I snapped that photo above with my blackberry. Usually I don't bother with pictures, but it just happened.

On the walk back to the hotel, we actually saw the Pope again! He was driving out of Plaza Cibelis with his entourage and the Pope Mobile was going sooo fast. We got a drive-by blessing. I bet he was having so much fun!! Its all we could talk about on the walk home!

Incredible, right? You're telling me.
I am convinced that right after that snapshot, he winked at me.







No comments:

Post a Comment